Thursday, November 16, 2017

MY TOWN


Pearse Square
Click on any image for a larger version

It's that time of year again, the climax of Michael Edwards photo exhibition/competition has come and gone.

The theme this year was OUR TOWN and the idea was to illustrate what makes where we are from special. I think expectations were for the positive rather than the negative. The individual category was there again this year and I put in five entries. As far as the judges are concerned the entries are anonymous and you are only allowed a short title for each photo indicating where it has been taken. So no commentary then.

Well, as I did last year, and now that the competition is over and anonymity is no longer required, I thought I'd just explain my photos a bit and say why I took them in the first place and why I picked these particular ones to enter.

Pearse Square, above, was originally Queen Square and it was renamed along with the street in 1921. This was on the eve of formal independence and was done by a City Council that had been long at loggerheads with the Imperial British Authorities.

The old sign is still there on the corner building and it has been left to deteriorate over the years. Understandable I suppose. However the newer sign is one of those cheapo versions and it too has deteriorated. I was very surprised it was not replaced by a more worthy version in the run up to the 1916 commemorations. Even the Padraig Pearse pub around the corner got a whole new frontage for the occasion and I entered a photo of that for last years competition.

I entered this one this year as typical not only of my beloved town but also of the country at large. Lots of lip service but very little action.



Macken Street

My town had its share of bombs during the troubles and thankfully that is now all behind us, pace Brexit. However this Continuity IRA sign appeared in recent times in Macken Street and there is no sign of anyone doing anything about it. I suppose it's as well to be reminded from time to time that peace is hard won and needs constant nurturing.

I entered this as a reminder of what may be simmering just below the surface.



Bettyglen

Enough of the rough stuff. A neighbour called me one day recently to have a look in her back garden. To her surprise, earlier in the day this duck with is clatter of ducklings paraded out from the garden bushes.

There are no ducks on our estate though there is a bird sanctuary down in Dollymount where both native ducks and passing flocks can be seen. It was presumably one of these that found itself pregnant and diverted to the nearest friendly and semi-concealed welcoming space.

My neighbour put out some water and the ducklings all took a bath, from which they can be seen above returning to the comfort and concealment of the bushes..

The duck people came later to take them away and look after them until they were able to go on their way.

I entered this to show that there can be some very pleasant and unexpected aspects to living in the suburbs.



Raheny Village

This one doesn't really need any explanation in a world of increasing surveillance. Nice of them to warn us. Pity the cameras were not suitably trained when the public defibrillator was stolen from round the corner not all that long ago. Hopefully the replacement is now under as much surveillance as I am myself.

I entered this one to reassure myself that, in my town, someone up there is watching over me.



Nassau Street

And, finally, this caught my eye on my way home from Culture Night.

Dublin Canvas has been doing a great job around the city getting the grey traffic light control boxes tarted up. This one looked particularly appropriate on a rubbish collection evening.

I entered this one to show that at least one, and possibly two, citizens have retained a sense of humour despite the current onslaught on our environment from fly-tipping and careless disposal of rubbish. The plastic bag tax was a start but we still have a long way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bona fide comments only. Spamming, Trolling, or commercial advertising will not be accepted.